Soccer 3D HW - quick guide please

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
skell
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

Re: Soccer 3D HW - quick guide please

Post by skell » 11 Oct 2011, 08:00

No disrespect to anyone but I think they are awful.........sorry!

Persija88
Forum Newbie

Post by Persija88 » 11 Oct 2011, 09:27

I may very well end up agreeing with you. Until I hold them, and flick them for myself, I just won't know.
There are many people on the forum, much more experienced than me in looking at all the different team types and I can already hear the cries of "we told you so". That's okay. This is a fun exercise for me, exploring a little bit more of this wonderful hobby of ours. I will learn something from it. If others do too, then all well and good. Who knows, maybe curiosity owes me 50 euros.
Last edited by Persija88 on 11 Oct 2011, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

WestwoodTableSoccer
Professional

Post by WestwoodTableSoccer » 11 Oct 2011, 09:38

HAHA, I like your style, but rather you than me fella.
http://www.WestwoodTableSoccer.Co.Uk
100% Hand Painted Custom Subbuteo Email Me On Westwood.TS@Gmail.Com

"I Bite My Tongue So You Can't Hear Me, I Wanna Hate Every Part Of You In Me, I Can't Hate The Ones Who Made Me"

Persija88
Forum Newbie

Post by Persija88 » 11 Oct 2011, 14:57

So the teams I ordered are... Newport County 1950, Bristol Rovers 1950, Bradford Park 1955, Rome 1980, and Verona. The last two I ordered in the flash-harry boxes. This is a test after all.... Actually its more like 65 euros in all... not to worry.
The reasons I choose these teams are 1) they have bright bold colours... (NGD's teams do look awful, but they do look like the website ad, so I avoided the wishy-washy colours, of which there are unfortunately many). 2) I wanted some paint work that would be a test, you know, lots of thin stripes and stuff. If Bradford Park http://www.astrobase.it/easyStore/Sched ... &IDCatVar=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; turns up looking like a fruit lollipop, then all well and good. If it looks like fruit punch, then not so good. And those socks... two hoops... hmmm, we will see.
Verona... http://www.astrobase.it/easyup/store/4218_verona_hw.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; well, collars, cuffs and sock hoops and all those vertical strips, including the sleeves. And a badge!

Anyway, they will take a week or so to arrive and then I will have to fondle them, flick them and photograph them.... so back soonish...

And for Rigger67 yes, absolutely, I promise that if I.... Cannot Recommend A Purchase..., then I will not.

ralphtheclaret

Post by ralphtheclaret » 11 Oct 2011, 17:22

correct term is Bradford (Park Avenue)..or more lazily Bradford Park Avenue for most folk..now Bradford Park who are they ?

Persija88
Forum Newbie

Post by Persija88 » 11 Oct 2011, 17:42

Thanks for that... lack of familiarity led me to search it... interesting wikipedia page here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_Park_Avenue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WestwoodTableSoccer
Professional

Post by WestwoodTableSoccer » 11 Oct 2011, 19:53

Holy Sh** that Verona looks ermmmm interesting, I've done one similar on Santiago, twice, without the short stripes;

And is for the Bradford (Park Avenue) *not going to get mugged of by Ralph again....lol I'm working on one as we speak, will post the pictures within the week :)

"I Bite My Tongue So You Can't Hear Me, I Wanna Hate Every Part Of You In Me, I Can't Hate The Ones Who Made Me"

newgolddream

Post by newgolddream » 11 Oct 2011, 22:11

I ordered Bradford (Park Avenue) too! I got the team you see on this thread instead.

WestwoodTableSoccer
Professional

Post by WestwoodTableSoccer » 13 Oct 2011, 19:36

Said I would upload this so here it is :)

newgolddream

Post by newgolddream » 13 Oct 2011, 19:55

Nice team Calum. I feel a project coming on :clap:

newgolddream

Post by newgolddream » 14 Dec 2011, 10:54

Persija88 wrote:So the teams I ordered are... Newport County 1950, Bristol Rovers 1950, Bradford Park 1955, Rome 1980, and Verona. The last two I ordered in the flash-harry boxes. This is a test after all.... Actually its more like 65 euros in all... not to worry.
The reasons I choose these teams are 1) they have bright bold colours... (NGD's teams do look awful, but they do look like the website ad, so I avoided the wishy-washy colours, of which there are unfortunately many). 2) I wanted some paint work that would be a test, you know, lots of thin stripes and stuff. If Bradford Park http://www.astrobase.it/easyStore/Sched ... &IDCatVar=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; turns up looking like a fruit lollipop, then all well and good. If it looks like fruit punch, then not so good. And those socks... two hoops... hmmm, we will see.
Verona... http://www.astrobase.it/easyup/store/4218_verona_hw.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; well, collars, cuffs and sock hoops and all those vertical strips, including the sleeves. And a badge!

Anyway, they will take a week or so to arrive and then I will have to fondle them, flick them and photograph them.... so back soonish...

And for Rigger67 yes, absolutely, I promise that if I.... Cannot Recommend A Purchase..., then I will not.

We are still waiting to hear on this post. Persija88...are you there?

colourblind

Post by colourblind » 14 Dec 2011, 19:43

:O :O :O

hells 'kin bells - I know I've been away from the Country for several years and on my return I thought I'd managed to catch up with the majority of new 'tat' that's flooded the market but christ these 3D HW teams look the wrong side of appalling - I mean they've gotta be offereing somert' like a free bowl of soup with any team box you buy 'eh ?

Persija88
Forum Newbie

Post by Persija88 » 15 Dec 2011, 07:24

I am here, though I've been buried at work these past few weeks. The teams have arrived, I have flicked them, and I am trying hard to find time to put up a review of them.... hopefully this weekend.

lionofludesch
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

Post by lionofludesch » 15 Dec 2011, 08:50

Persija88 wrote: But i have a file so no biggie.
Nail clippers are a better option. Take the same amount off each end.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010,, joint with Takis2014 and 2018

® :angry:

Persija88
Forum Newbie

Post by Persija88 » 17 Dec 2011, 10:28

So, here is that review…

As you know I ordered five teams, detailed above. Astrobase ended up over-charging me 16 euros on postage and will give that back on my next order.
The teams took about two and a half weeks to reach me in Hong Kong. The email query system on the Astrobase website worked well and they were friendly to deal with.
IMG_1234sized.jpg
IMG_1234sized.jpg (1015.78 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
There are pictures of a couple of individual players at the bottom.

The players
The first thing that was obvious was that the teams came from two different moulds. Three of the teams I ordered turned up as ‘giants’. These figures are a little more than 1 mm taller than the other teams and have bigger, flatter chests. I have no idea what teams come in which moulds, or whether it is just random. People on the Italian forum have said that Soccer 3D HWs were taller than other figures (and that the players were less stable as a result). Different moulds would seem to account for that.

The smaller, more normal sized figures have quite a pronounced indent in the chests.

On both player types, there is quite a lot of sprue.
IMG_1222sized.jpg
Two types of players, Triestina on Santiago in the middle.
IMG_1222sized.jpg (737.14 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
Some have said that their teams arrived unassembled and that the bars did not fit the slots. All my teams arrived assembled; neither nail clippers nor files were required. The teams were not glued, but the fitting of the players into the disks and the disks into the bases were good enough that they held firm. With hours of flicking, I did not have disks coming out of the bases. With Santiago teams, the players do sometimes come out if they are not glued, though obviously either glue or blue tac solves this.

The bases for both the player types are the same and similar to original HW. They are almost 1mm in diameter bigger than Santiago bases and a fraction taller. There is rust on some of the washers suggesting old stock is being used up. Other washers were obviously new. Also, two different sizes of washers are being used.
IMG_1252sized.jpg
IMG_1252sized.jpg (147.03 KiB) Viewed 2856 times

The quality of the plastic used for both the players and bases compares poorly in my opinion to that used by Santiago (better) and Top Spin (really really good).

Boxes
The teams came in Subbuteo-like boxes; bottom, inner tray and lid. The inner trays were either black, yellow, green or white. The card for the boxes is thinner than original HWs (trees cost more now) and thinner than Top Spin, but thick enough to do the job.

Paint jobs
I ordered these teams carefully trying to avoid the awful Chernobyl-fruit-pastel types of colours that NGD got with his teams. I think I largely succeeded in avoiding horrible pastels, but it is positive spin to suggest that the artist has interpreted some kits in an interesting and unique way. :) Roma…. “Please enjoy!” as we say in Hong Kong. They have obviously had their Ready Brek.

Flicking
Actually, I thought the figures played okay. Even the giants were balanced well enough. I flicked them around for an afternoon, together with some original HWs, Top Spin, Santiago and early Zeugo and it was difficult to conclude that I was more rubbish with the Soccer 3D teams than I was with the rest. The Soccer 3D teams seem to curl okay (yes, when I was aiming to curl them) and they did not fall over any more regularly than the rest. Perhaps those with more silky skills would conclude otherwise, but for me, they played okay.

Price point
The teams were 11.20 Euros each which is about GBP9.40. Fancy boxes cost more. Lots of people have already said how bad the teams look based on NGDs experience. I wondered whether the comparison is usually with hand painted offerings available from other forum members (of which I have lots both on both Santiago and Top Spin). Starting prices for many of these teams are GBP15 and up which is a substantial premium to Soccer 3D prices though Santiago Table Soccer starts some teams at GBP9.99.

Conclusion
Not knowing what type of figures will arrive is obviously a bit tough. And the paint jobs do provide what is an unusual perspective. That said, they flick okay (or at least I flicked them as badly as I flick all my other teams). And they are cheap, at least compared to many members’ offerings. I suppose the question is, is there a market for teams of this (not very good) quality at this price point. In my own collection, the answer is 'no'.

Here’s what I’m going to do…. I will keep Verona.
The other four teams can be donated to worthy causes. PMs please with worthy causes… now don’t all rush at once….
NGD – If you still want Bradford Park, then PM me your address and I’ll send you it.

Oh well. One lives and learns. Don't feel too sorry for me though; this is what I’m getting for Christmas…. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Season’s Greetings to everybody on the forum!
IMG_1227sized.jpg
IMG_1227sized.jpg (90.53 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
IMG_1229sized.jpg
IMG_1229sized.jpg (87.82 KiB) Viewed 2856 times

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”