Cinemas

Post messages about anything to do with music, television or films.
HEAD80

Cinemas

Post by HEAD80 » 31 Jan 2009, 04:52

Anyone been to the cinema lately?
Ive seen 3 movies in the last 2 weeks. Best of the 3 was "The curious case of Benjamin Button".

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Post by MahlerOO5 » 31 Jan 2009, 07:38

havent been for 3 years and 10 months...

i.e. ever since child # 2 was born :morning: :morning:

Jester

Post by Jester » 31 Jan 2009, 08:13

Not been for donkeys.

I'm happier waiting for it to come out on DVD, my local rental shop charges £2.50 a night while the cinema charges £6.50 a ticket.

Did watch Iron Man again though the other night. That's a pretty awesome film.

rossobantam

Post by rossobantam » 31 Jan 2009, 17:26

certain films are best seen on big screen, so I tend to go to them....Lord of The Rings trilogy, disaster/space movies et al

Or when kids need taking....last film I saw at the pictures was 'Over the Hedge' IIRC :morning:

PhippsFlix

Post by PhippsFlix » 31 Jan 2009, 17:43

B0ll0x to cinemas mate.
Haven't been since I saw the Batman Begins movie & that was cos the Mrs wanted to see it.
I'm utterly fed up with being charged a proverbial mortgage just to see a film.
Then there's the cost of food,of which FAR too much is on offer AND the cheeky sods make you buy their food & ban you from bringing your own FFS!
On the one hand,you're told not to make too much noise,but you'll be taking in crisps,coke,f***ing hot dogs,chips.It's a cinema FFS,not bast4rd McDonalds/Burger King/KFC!?
You have other people in there telling you to shut up,even though it's about 25 mins of sodding adverts,that are at a volume EVEN LOUDER than on your television,through a sound system designed for the deaf,to make you deaf.The same audio level found at bloody Donington or Reading/Leeds festivals.....
I'll leave it there,but no,I don't bother with cinemas....F*** 'em :bad-words:
Last edited by PhippsFlix on 31 Jan 2009, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

HEAD80

Post by HEAD80 » 04 Feb 2009, 07:24

Can become quite expensive, I get where you are coming from Phipps. Costs $16.50 for a ticket, so not cheap and some popcorn and a drink sets you back another $10.

PhippsFlix

Post by PhippsFlix » 12 Feb 2009, 00:36

What makes me quite sad is that my wee lad will want to go in the future.
Will it cost us the best part of £50 just to get in?
Two :popcorn: buckets at about £12 each?
My folks took me to see Star Wars in summer 1977(My first film eh?What a f***in coup :G ) & I sat on the balcony,front row.It was at a cinema in Cambridge Market Place(long since gone,sadly :O )
Best bit of the whole film was the piece where R2D2 gets zapped by the little Jawa fellas,goes all stiff & lands on his face.
150+ people in the WHOLE place all go "Aahh" together & the atmosphere was fantastic.But no objections from other cinema-goers,you were an audience all together,expressing the same emotions in one strange moment.There was bedlam when the Death Star gets blasted,but the same thing applied......
Another was the 1st Superman in 1978 where we're in with another poo of people & the classic bit where Christopher Lee says to that bloke "Excuse me,Sir" before rocketing up the side of the Daily Planet high-rise & catching Margot Kidder,THEN the bloody mashed-up Jetranger.
The whole f***ing auditorium went wild,cheering,clapping & whistling(as nobody had seen this before).
Could you do that now?Could you f***!
My Lass went with my Aunt to see Mamma Mia(they both like Abba,so good luck to 'em) last Summer,but while those two were joining in & enjoying the songs,humming along/having a good time,everyone else was just sitting there like zombies.......
Like I said,cinema-going is no longer a pleasure :MiddleFinger:

Jester

Post by Jester » 12 Feb 2009, 01:45

It's not just the piccies mate.
One of my friends took his wife to see Swansea City for her birthday and the tickets were over £23 each.
I used to go watch rugby matches every weekend but they are now about the same price.

And my biggest peeve is paying £3 for a cup of coffee.
:microwave:

From red to blue

Post by From red to blue » 12 Feb 2009, 02:20

Spot on Phipps. I couldn't agree with you more. Apart from the ooh ahh clapping bit - that always makes me wince in a cinema. Okay in the theatre if apt, but not in the cinema, since there's no-one there (actors-wise) to appreciate it.

But the food stuff, yeah. They've got you by the bollocks when they put on their Shrek 8s and their Ice Man 7s. They know the parents will flock with their kids because the movie promoters have made sure of it with primetime kids TV ads, cereal giveaways, yoghurt endorsements, chocolate sponsorships, free stickers on comics, and all sorts of other get-in-the-playground-quick product placements.

And they know that the kids don't understand what profiteering is yet so they charge the earth for the muck they want them to feed on knowing that you will submit if you want to give your kids the same experience the other kids at school are getting. If you don't you're mean, or worse, poor.

My children have been to the cinema on average about 8 times each, every time taken by the missus. The last film I saw at the cinema was probably Schindlers List about a decade ago, because my parents wanted to see it. I baulk at the idea of taking my children to the cinema nowadays, partly because of the cost, partly because of the food sting, but mostly because I feel they are taking the hiss and they know it, and they don't give a sh** and they show it, and I don't find that kind of environment conducive to an enjoyable night out with the impressionable ones.

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Post by MahlerOO5 » 12 Feb 2009, 07:36

PhippsFlix wrote:What makes me quite sad is that my wee lad will want to go in the future.
My advice - take him to a museum instead. We took our kids to Albert Dock in Liverpool the other Sunday, to the maritime museum they have there plus the Tate Gallery next door - they put on loads of activities for kids these days, and it's all free. The kids loved it.

A really good one is the Royal Armouries in Leeds, they have actors doing sword fights and even jousts outside in the summer months. Magna in Rotherham is a good one too, then there's places like Ironbridge and Beamish.

I appreciate these are all a bit far for a daytrip for you, but there must be similar stuff in East Anglia...?

There's plenty of free entertainment on offer, that's my point...

lionofludesch
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

Post by lionofludesch » 12 Feb 2009, 19:54

Don't forget the National Rail Museum in York, Steve.

Takes two days just to go round it properly.

Fantastic value for nowt.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010,, joint with Takis2014 and 2018

® :angry:

From red to blue

Post by From red to blue » 12 Feb 2009, 20:06

Albert Dock is brilliant. I've been there countless times. The Tate is marvellous, and the Maritime isn't bad either. And then there's the ferry too. The last time I went there, there was a half-built stadium by the car parks - I guess that's finished now Mahler? The only downer for my children was that they didn't get to go on the amphibious duck vehicle, but apart from that we had a fab day out.

From red to blue

Post by From red to blue » 12 Feb 2009, 20:12

I used to live near York but never went to the railway museum. I went to the other one though near Clifford's Tower - I can't remember the name, but what I really enjoyed about it was the sweet shop in the Victorian street and the exhibition of ordinary domestic goods and furntiture of the 20th C. It wasn't free, but it's one of the best museums I've been to.

rossobantam

Post by rossobantam » 13 Feb 2009, 01:22

From red to blue wrote:I used to live near York but never went to the railway museum. I went to the other one though near Clifford's Tower - I can't remember the name, but what I really enjoyed about it was the sweet shop in the Victorian street and the exhibition of ordinary domestic goods and furntiture of the 20th C. It wasn't free, but it's one of the best museums I've been to.
that'll be Castle Museum....'tis a fantastic place, takes an age to meander through it all. Railway Museum is crafty...free entry but car park costs £375 for the day..well, nearly

Magna is very good. I went to Beamish 1977 (year it opened IIRC) school trip.

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Post by MahlerOO5 » 13 Feb 2009, 08:35

Liverpool Arena is now open...coincidentally I am currently working on a similar idea for Leeds...

Been to the Railway musuem, that model train layout is great, the girls liked the royal trains.

Eden Camp in North Yorks is a good one too, former POW camp now full of wartime stuff and displays, including various AFVs

Dare I say it, National Trust membership gives lots of good value....

Return to “Music/TV/Film”